Saturday, November 20, 2010

I may actually start liking the Pope now...

CNN: Pope says condoms may be OK in some circumstances

Seriously breaking news.  According to this CNN article, the Pope has recently stated that condom use may be permissible in cases where they can prevent against sexually transmitted diseases, especially AIDS.  As a Catholic and a human rights advocate, this is seriously the best news I've heard in relation to both [combined] in a long time.  This issue has been one of the most frustrating things in relation to the AIDS crisis in Africa in particular.  The Pope has such a wide-reaching influence even among non-Catholics that the Church's stance on condom use has been very detrimental to efforts to combat the disease.

Of course, this permission does not include anything to deal with preventing pregnancy, which is understandable considering the Church's view on procreation.  However, I feel that this is an important step in the Church towards a human rights-oriented worldview.  For me, my religion and my human rights views are very tightly combined, but the issue of condoms has been a particularly unfortunate point in this.  I'm definitely glad that these can now be more tightly reconciled.

Hopefully with these recent statements work towards containing the AIDS crisis not only in Africa but worldwide can flourish and expand.  This is just great, excellent news and I hope that eventually it becomes official Vatican policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment